Date of Birth: 22nd July 1987
Nationality: New Zealander
Height: 179 cm
Weight: 81 Kg
Hometown: Rotorua, New Zealand
Turned Pro: 2010
Joined ORICA-GreenEDGE: 2012
Sam joined ORICA-GreenEDGE in May when Robbie McEwen retired from racing after the Amgen Tour of California. With a focus on track racing during the first half the season, the mid-season signing worked out well for both Sam and the team.
The 25-year-old made his debut with ORICA-GreenEDGE at Bayern Rundfahrt before returning his attention back to the track ahead of the London Olympics, where he was part of New Zealand’s bronze medal team pursuit squad. It was a second bronze medal for Sam, who rode a bronze medal team pursuit ride in Beijing as well.
Sam calls his Olympic medals his career highlights and admits that all personal highlights are on the track as a result of where he has chosen to put his energy in his still young career. Come 2013, Sam will race full-time with ORICA-GreenEDGE on the road. He believes the Australian outfit is the best place for him to seek his first real road racing highlight.
A true team player, Sam is one of the team’s great domestiques working hard to place teammates in a winning position.
Despite an injury interrupted 2014 season, the New Zealander bounced back to play a key support role for young general classification consideration Esetban Chaves in the Vuelta a Espana and will be looking forward to an injury-free season with much of the same in 2015.
Top 20 Results at ORICA-GreenEDGE:
- 1st Giro d'Italia - Stage 1 (TTT)
- 2nd Tour de Romandie - Stage 1 (TTT)
- 4th National Championships New Zealand - Road Race
- 4th Jayco Herald Sun Tour - Prologue
- 3rd Vuelta a Espana – Stage 1 (TTT)
- 13th Vuelta a Espana – Stage 21
- 9th Vuelta a Espana – Stage 1 (TTT)
- 11th Volta Ciclista a Catalunya – Stage 2
- 1st New Zealand Cycle Classic – Stage 3
- 3rd UCI Road Cycling World Championships – Team time Trial
- 4th New Zealand Cycle Classic – Mountains Classification
- 5th New Zealand Cycle Classic – Stage 1
- 7th Tour de Slovenie – Stage 4